Sider

August 22, 2013

thoughts on baby-food...





with a baby in the house who seems to think milk is the o n l y way to go, my faith in myself cooking baby-food is put to the test... no matter what is on the spoon* his mouth remains closed! as I don't believe in forcing him in any way, we have now settled on a little compromise... I get to put a little porridge, puré or whatever I'm trying to serve him, on his upper lip, he will lick it and taste... and then he proceeds to grap a piece of fruit or vegetable and feed himself, alternatively smearing it all over... if I try to load the spoon and give it to him, he will turn it around and have the handle in his mouth in no time, but the end with food on it... not so much... however, looking on the bright side, he really likes baked potato wedges, and is almost able to eat one, even with no teeth...
*just to make sure that it wasn't something as simple as the spoon he didn't like, he has tested out several different shapes, materials and colors... need I say with no luck.

in the light of the challenges we're facing regarding baby-food, I've spent a long time wondering which would be the better way for us to go... 
- is he simply not quite ready for solids yet (despite him being now a bit more than seven months)?
- does he prefer to control what goes in his mouth?
- doesn't he like the texture of puré, mash or porridge, but prefers to chew even with no teeth?
- and of course the obvious for a slightly concerned mother as myself... would it be better to buy readymade baby-food, would he like this better? (fortunately this is easy to test out, so we did... with no success).

fortunately he seems curious and interested in what he is served, he investigates and occasionally chews on both fruit and vegetables served in pieces, and hopefully slowly he will learn that good things can also come on a spoon... 
in the meantime... 
I'm trying to keep my spirit up by cooking a varied selection of baby-foods, on occasion they are even served in my favorite little glass bowl and hoping that one day (before too long) his little mouth will open and he will enjoy what the spoon brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment